Sunday, July 05, 2009

Palin: Good bye, and thanks for the nice "title"...

Sarah Palin's July 4 Facebook statement justifying her decision to resign lets slip a narcissist's view of what it means to hold a position of authority:
For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most....

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America.
Sacrificing my title...you'd think that the governor's office was a nominal honor, like an honorary degree or a baronetcy. No whisper of awareness that a chief executive might owe her constituents her best efforts to steer the state through difficult times to the end of the term for which she was elected. Assuming, that is, that her ability to perform her duties is not fatally impaired, of which she's so far given no indication.

And speaking of that four-year term, note one more casual misrepresentation in this self-serving, delusional communique:
We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two.
Wouldn't that be "during this 5/8 of a term"?

No comments:

Post a Comment